I have this interesting case, it has happened in MIM 2016 and FIM 2010 R2 so it is not a product issue. I created an RCDC form and put my resource attributes there. One of them was a reference attribute (I created this attribute) which I defined as an IdentityPicker control. Everything looked good, the form came up, for the reference attribute I selected the Person and then I hit submit. When I opened the object I didn’t see any value for the reference attribute, its empty. Strange, I did not get any error message when submitting. I checked the logs, there is no error, I checked the request details, there is no error. I restarted the FIM service, no change. I went over the RCDC for any mistakes, none.
So I now checked the so called “reference” attribute in the schema and I discovered I created it as a string attribute. My mistake. So I have to delete that attribute and recreate it. Sounds simple? Not quite, you have to first remove the bindings of that attribute to any other objects in FIM. So I went to
- Admin Filters, removed the attribute
- In the RCDC remove the attributes, update the RCDC
- Delete any objects created that has that attribute as a property. Fortunately I was using it for a custom resource (not User or group or some connected object) which was just in FIM not connected to any remote source. So I could delete all the objects.
- If there is any MPR that has this attribute specifically listed in the target resource tab, you have to go and remove the attribute from that list.
- Delete the bindings in the schema related to that attribute
- Delete the attribute
I then recreated the attribute correctly as a reference attribute and issue was resolved.